Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#ldsconf and Werewolves

In Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga, one of the vampires, Alice, can see the future.  Her abilities are contingent upon the decisions of others though.  If someone changes their mind about a pivotal event, the future changes.  Another quirk in relation to her power is her inability to see the future if a werewolf is involved in a decision.  Unfortunately, there always seems to be werewolves popping up in the lives of Alice's loved ones. When people ask me what I am going to do after my mission I just make things up because I have no clue where my life is headed in 16 months.  Clearly I am going to do something with my life, but the more I try to figure it out the more stumped I become.  I finally realized a few weeks ago that there must be a werewolf of sorts in my future and that mangy beast is making it impossible for me to pin down anything beyond the horizon of my mission.  Though everyone's situations are different, people from all walks of life are always battling werewolves in their lives.  There are multiple ways that we can deal with the future when werewolves are involved.  One of which is watching General Conference.


What is General Conference?  General Conference is a semi-annual broadcast that occurs every year in April and October.  Priesthood leaders and female representatives in the LDS church speak on inspired topics to a global audience over 5 sessions (with an additional session for women the weekend before the official conference).  This past weekend the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held their 184th Semi-Annual General Conference.

But how will hours of stuffy Mormon talks help me fight werewolves?  For starters, the talks actually aren't that stuffy.  Many have analogies, stories, and examples to liven up the party a bit.  Every one can learn from the general principles discussed in the various talks that are presented.  Everything from Christ's earthly ministry to family relations to being a good neighbor is discussed.  I promise that on the surface level there are lessons to be learned, but the real lessons are learned between the lines of oration.  Let's say you enter conference with a ferocious werewolf; a doubt of whether God is real or not.  Without a doubt someone will discuss our divine creator, but what is his or her word to you?  Though outwardly your question has been answered, there is a God, your soul isn't yet convinced.  Your soul will be convinced as you ponder the words that are shared and are open to personal revelation from the Holy Ghost (aliases: Holy Spirit, The Spirit, The Spirit of God).

General Conference is a spiritual and revelatory experience for those that enter with the faith that their questions will be answered.  I viewed General Conference with seven questions I wanted answered.  The first session of conference provided the answers to all of my questions.  The most powerful experience was unexpected; I felt comforted about my future and have a better idea of what to expect down the road.  There are still werewolves dancing in the periphery and gaping holes in my future plan, but I have goals for the first time in a long while to work toward.  One werewolf down, many to go.  But please, no one ask me where I'm going to live after my mission.  That werewolf is the most elusive of all.  

**If you want to read the talks presented or view General Conference in its entirety, you can do so here.

A quote from a previous General Conference.  This stuff is gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment