Thursday, May 1, 2014

What I Wish I Would Have Told My High School Friends

My family moved to Minnesota a few days before my freshman year of high school began.  Within minutes of stepping foot into my new academic haven it seemed that every other student somehow already knew two things about me; first, I was from Iowa, second, I am a Mormon.  Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints quickly became my most common identifier.  My family was the only family that actively attended LDS church services in our new community, and as such people didn't know a lot about my beliefs.  Unfortunately I wasn't always the best at taking the opportunity to share my beliefs. When people asked what Mormons believed my confident demeanor shriveled and was replaced with an apologetic summary of extremely basic beliefs and random facts about my faith.  In essence, I quickly changed from the post-battle-with-Scar-newly-reinstated-king-of-Pride-Rock-and-new-boyfriend-of-Nala Simba to the tails-between-their-knees hyaenas.  I occasionally invited friends to go to church with me on Sunday or to participate in other activities on other days of the week, but I never shared a lot with them.  I didn't necessarily hide my faith under a bushel, but I didn't place it out in the open either.  As I prepared for college I decided to apply to Brigham Young University and this provided me with more opportunities to talk about my faith with friends, though I never gave the opportunities justice.  While my friends and I were touring colleges or going on various trips our senior year we would sometimes bring small gifts back for one another.  I flew to Utah to tour BYU's campus in October of 2008 and while I was there I picked up a copy of the Book of Mormon for three of my closest friends. Being the coward that I am, I wrote three notes boldly stating my beliefs and stuck the unique notes in each of the front covers so that I wouldn't have to verbalize my beliefs to my friends Kyle, Danielle, and Shelby.  By February I was accepted to BYU and six months later I was driving the 1300 life altering miles to Provo to work toward my bachelor's degree. 



I invited my friends, Shelby and Kyle, to a "Mormon Dance" in high school...this was the "pre-dance model shot"

Four of my closest friends, Shelby, Whitney, Danielle, and Nicole at our high school graduation
Five years later, I am filled with regret for not being more open about my faith.  I wish I would have told them that my religion is centered on Jesus Christ and His gospel.  I wish I would have told them that there is a prophet on the Earth today that leads and guides us with the priesthood power and authority of God.  I wish I would have told them that the Book of Mormon can answer all of life's questions. I wish I would have told them that Heavenly Father loves them as they are and that they can always turn to him no matter where they are in life.  I wish I would have told them that they don't have to agree with my beliefs, but I still want them to know them.  I really wish I would have told them that life will never be easy, but we can rely on the atonement of Jesus Christ to calm every fear, ease all of our pains, and lighten every burden.  All in all I wish I would have told them what it means to be a Mormon.  It means peace, happiness, comfort, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment